Esri News Feed

Sunday, June 25, 2006

GIS Homework Challenge

I'm a regular reader of several GIS magazines, e-list and blogs. I tend to stay a "lurker" on most, and shamelessly cut and paste things of interest to this blog-site for ease of reference and remembrance.

I'm proud to admit I'm a GIS guy that doesn't code. To clarify, the ability to put together sophisticated spatial and DB queries still doesn't make you a code-monkey. I've had the privilege to work with some truly gifted engineers at DayJet. By any comparison or measure, I don't write code.

But I am the "Map Guy" at work, and access to a hell of a good tool-set of software and data takes you a long way in Marketing, with just enough technical intelligence to provide a nice liaison between Sales, Marketing, Advanced Tech and Engineering.

Recently, Adena Schutzberg in here "The View from Here" article in DirectionsMag.com put out a challenge of Ten Homework Assignments for GIS Practitioners". Some of her points of study don't match my needs or interest, but I'll attempt to wade through most and post nuances and findings . Even if this "devolves" into following meandering hyper-links and posting comments and map findings - I appreciate the GIS mental exercise.

More later.

No comments: